Kyoto

11/30/2014 , 0 Comments

Continuing my Osaka trip, I took the kyoto-tozai line to Kyoto aka the City of Ten Thousand Shrines.
(FYI, it is about 1000yen to and fro on the subway)

Kyoto is currently my favourite city in the world !



People sitting by the river bank chatting. 
Beautiful old school back alley. Ninja ninja everywhere ! 


Crane alert ! 



Wanted for a thousand years ~ 

The present and the past.


Tourists in their traditional garb.

People people.
And if you ever reach the Kiyomizu-dera, you will come across the Otowa-no-taki waterfall which has 3 different streams of water, believed to be for health, longevity and wisdom respectively. However, you are suppose to drink only from one and if you drink from all three streams it is bad luck and considered greedy.

More people queuing to quench their thirst.

 
Beautiful like a scene out of a Studio Ghibli production.
Kyoto also boost the reputation for having Geisha/Geiko.
But the number of Geisha/Geiko in modern Japan have dwindled to an estimated 1,000-2,000. And to be able to meet one is considered to be extremely lucky.
Most of my Japanese friend themselves have not even seen them before.

After 3 hours of walking around and on my way back, through Gion ....

From a distance...

Fukucho-san ! 
 I was lucky enough to meet a Maiko (trainee geisha) aka Fukucho.
Truth to be told, when I was young, I was so obsessed over Geisha.
I spend like hours drawing miniature geisha and even learning the 祇園小唄 ( Gion Kouta ) movement. The fan dance ... The way they look at people and people falling at their feet.
I always thought the perfect kind of woman/lady is like a geisha, walking small steps and doing only small actions.
I wonder what happen to me now ....
So one day, I told my dad that I wanted to be a Geisha and he explain to me what a " Geisha Girl" does (geisha girl is somewhat like a prostitute but geisha can choose to be only an entertainer).
And the young me got confused and decided not to condemn myself so .... I grew up to be a modern person.


Food! 

I decided to pop my head into a small eatery but some okonomiyaki ~






The taste was not the best but Ojisan had a lot of passion. Ojisan ! Arigotou Gozaimashita ! 



Overall, I am really thankful for the opportunity to be able to travel to Japan so often.
I really love the country and thanks god for letting me discover Kyoto.

0 comments: