10 things to get on people's nerve while traveling.

7/02/2014 , , , 0 Comments

Jumping in on the list bandwagon, i have created a top 10 things that people get on other's nerve.
I lived/worked in a dormitory, with 7 other people in the same room and sharing a common area with 10 more others.
I worked at a guesthouse and sometimes it amazes me what kind of people go traveling.
And sometimes i wonder, with brain like theirs, they should just give me their money and let me travel.
So here goes.


1. People who doesn't plan.
There are people who literally act like they bought a ticket at the airport and just come. They will start asking travellers around them and try to fit into their plan. e.g : "where are you guys going tomorrow ? sounds fun. maybe I will see you there ~ " (yes, i did hear this from a traveller before.)
Obviously the worse kind are those that are with their friends. One friend plan, one just follow. 
The follower just follow. With no intention to do anything. The planner take it upon oneself. 
Bound to be a mixture go wrong.

2. Strangers who will be visiting your home country.
"Hey! I will be going to Singapore again, maybe in next month or so. Let's meet up ! " And proceed to add me on facebook ... .... nuff' said.

3. Brag about their home country. 
My country is so clean. Our food is so much better. My country has this and that. Yeah yeah, then go back to your country. -.-

4. Unwilling to change. 
To add on the bragging, is their unwillingness to change. "Why is it like that here ? We should do it like that! "
You use kakaotalk here ? We use wechat in our country. Now download it and be my friend. 
Real life example, there was this Hongkong girl (just citing not stereotyping), after finish her pot of ramyun, she proceed to the toilet to flush the rest of the content down the toilet bowl. I told her that you can just pour it down Korea's sink cos Korea's sink have a filter for large content and instead of learning from the mistake she replied "oh! in Hongkong we usually does it like that". .... kill me now.  

5. Kick up a fuss.
I have got people asking for refunds despite of policy that they want to check out one day earlier and they are not happy about us not returning their money. I have got people who goes to the breakfast area to help themselves to the food at 4am when breakfast is at 8am-10am and when confronted, raise the voice at me and went "I WAS HUNGRY. THE BAGEL IS MINE TO EAT. EVEN IF I WAKE UP AT 8AM, IT IS STILL MINE. SO I ATE IT NOW. I WAS HUNGRY." Right. Hungry person, angry person. 

6. Using money to get their way through.
Adding on to hungry bagel girl's confrontation, her solution was "I WAS HUNGRY, CAN I JUST LEAVE 1,000WON($1usd) HERE AND EAT IT ?" Well, kiddo, take your parent's money and shove up your ass. Anyway, where can you get toasted bagel with cream cheese for 1,000won ? 

7. Asking if there is someone who speaks in your native language.
This one irks me so very much. Why will you travel to another country and keep asking for someone who speaks your language. I always get the "Do you speak Chinese? Can you get me someone who speaks chinese ?" On the other hand, the Japanese are the nicest. Even though some of them only speaks Japanese, they are nice and kind to understand and I stood 10mins at a hallway literally chatting with a girl using my phone translate. lols.


8. Leaving your personal intimate things around.
Where I work, sometimes people ask for room cleaning, which is pretty simple. Just changed of towels, vacuuming the floor etc. But there are times when we enter and I see things ... I have no idea. Bra pad on the floor, underwear hanging from the window, unused pad lying around. For the sake of god, just put them aside ! 


9. Non stop photo taking.
Look ! Here's my bed, let's take a photo to show my family back home. Here's the common area, here's a korean. Here's a cup. Then a pot. EH YOU AT THE BACK. LET'S TAKE A PHOTO. LET'S TAKE A PHOTO EVERYONEEEEE ! 


10. Freeloaders.
"Wow, eating xxx? Looks good. Can I try ? Just one bite." "Free sample? Can i have one ? One more ? Another ?" "Wow... what is this ? Looking good ... " *proceed to take things and stuff into their bag* Real life scenario : The guesthouse usually has instant coffee and all for guest to drink. And not hard to guess, guests usually takes a bunch of them home.


This are my top 10 pet peeves of travellers. Are you like this too ?
Or have you met people like that ? Let me know in the comments !

0 comments: